What can I say about myself. I am what you would consider an early adopter in the tech industry. I was one of the first people I knew to get a modem back when I was in 7th grade (1993) and as a result have seen a lot of changes happen on the Internet. I read slashdot back in the late 90s before slashdot was considered Social Media & ran my own blog (now defunct) before blogging was a hot item for journalists. As a result I’ve been involved in some form with Digg, Twitter, and other social media sites since shortly after they were formed.
Beyond just using sites like Digg, I also really like to see how things work, and with my background in programming I have the ability to build tools to help out with that. The site you are on right now, SocialBlade is my experiment with digg where you can find all sorts of statistics on how stories hit the front page of digg. For other sites such as Twitter & YouTube I’ve played around with their apis as well but haven’t had anything really go public yet save a couple greasemonkey scripts for YouTube.
Rather then bore you too much please check out some of my links below for more information on myself and don’t hesitate to contact me if you want to know anything else. =]
Where can you find FirstDigg/Urgo?
You can find me as some form of either Urgo or FirstDigg (or both) on most sites around the internet but here are a few I use more then others. Make sure you follow / subscribe / friend / etc me on each of these sites!
– Urgo – I used to have two twitter accounts but now this is my one and only primary account!
– FirstDigg – the place where I created the FirstDigg name, ‘First’ playing off of the common ‘First!’ in a comment thread (from slashdot) as well as first to break a story, and I think you can figure out how I got the last part of the name
– Urgo6667 – YouTube is another hobby of mine, and the reason I was able to take the picture you see of me above in Singapore (won a trip from a video contest). From May 2010 until May 2011 I posted a video a day without ever missing a day for a community I created called The YouTube Orbit. After completing the Orbit I still post videos about 2-3 times a week & manage YouTube Orbit, the largest community of daily video creators on the YouTube.
Social Blade Show
– Combining my Digg & Social Media hobby with my YouTube (and video in general) hobby I’ve teamed up with a couple of friends and togther we run a weekly hour long webcast called the Social Blade Show. In the show we talk about the news of the week related to social media (so anything related to YouTube, Digg, Twitter, Facebook, etc) and then we also bring on one or more guests. We’ve had everyone from Comedy Central & Time as guests to some of the most successful users of sites like Digg join us and tell us their stories.
– Urgo – Think Digg but for music. TheSixtyOne is a great site to find music you would have not heard anywhere else. Most of the music I listen to during the day is streamed from here. Also with their new creative commons section I’m able to find music to use legally on my youtube videos as well.
– AprilFoolsDayOnTheWeb.com – Every April Fools’ Day since 2004 I’ve kept a list of all the websites that pull April Fools’ Jokes. It’s a *lot* of work but I love doing it.